collapse

Author Topic: Single Most God-Awful Rule Aberration in Mahjong History  (Read 1962 times)

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My book: Mahjong from A to Zh
Single Most God-Awful Rule Aberration in Mahjong History
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »
2 points for an open pinfu.

Think about what a paradox that is. How dumb it is.

平和 Pinfu, by definition, is an "empty sum"; a scoreless hand. It cannot contain any scoring sets (must be all chows), it cannot contain any value pair (i.e. dragons, seat or prevalent wind), and must go out on a scoreless two-sided (ryanmen) wait. It must score absolutely no inherent fu points of its own of any kind whatsoever in any way in order to be a valid pinfu hand and earn a yaku.

It's so important that this hand be completely and 100% worthless... that there is even a scoring exception if you self-pick the winning tile with a pinfu hand. Normally a self-picked win scores 2 points... BUT because it's so important that pinfu stay true to it's worthless status... a scoring exception is applied to the tsumo scoring condition... they're going to ugly-up the tsumo-scoring rules for just this one hand... so that it doesn't apply if your hand is a pinfu hand... otherwise it wouldn't be scoreless anymore on a self-picked win.

It's THAT important that it be worthless that other scoring conditions must make-way for this hand to maintain its worthlessness. It just CAN'T be worth ANY FU whatsoever.

Yet...

And here's the killer...

YET... if the pinfu hand is open... and is won by ron... which would truly make it a 100% and completely worthless hand, true to its own namesake, definition and purpose... uh... that scores 2 points.

???

If the hand truly scores no points... that scores points. NOT A LOT of points, mind you. Just enough points to punch itself in the face... to spite its own existence in an oxymoron... oxy... moron.

Raising the second most important question in the Universe... WHY?

:o

HOW in the world did that scoring rule ever come to be? It just simply makes no sense. It was so important that the hand be worthless, that a scoring exception was applied to another scoring condition just to preserve its scoreless status, and then, in the situation where it truely is absolutely worthless... it goes and gets another scoring exception to give it some points.

I know you can't answer the question.. but in all my years studying mahjong rules and their evolution, this one has always stuck in my craw. It's the platypus of mahjong.

* Osamuko's RSS

Invalid feed.

anything