Author Topic: Just a quick update on the status of my collection.  (Read 2303 times)

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My book: Mahjong from A to Zh
Just a quick update on the status of my collection.
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:39:29 pm »
Arcade PCB's (printed circuit boards) were one of my primary sources for gathering information about Mahjong and it's various rule sets, especially early on before I started traveling and meeting more players (not a lot of Mahjong takes place in Texas :( ). PCB's at one time where the brains inside the large heavy coin-operated video arcade cabinets that were popular in the 80's and 90's around the world, but since those cabinets get trashed over time, and they are heavy and expensive to ship, most collectors just pass around the PCB's, which are small, and relatively easy to ship. I would plug a PCB into a custom built arcade cabinet and computer that I made, and use the PCB's to decipher the various rules for Mahjong. The PCB's are, however, relatively expensive, and so after documenting all I could about a particular board, I sold it to generate funds to buy the next one.

At the moment I have four PCB's left in my collection, one of which I know to be a version of Psikyo's 1997 Taisen Hot Gimmick, which plays Japanese Riichi Mahjong. The other three I can't identify because my arcade cabinet was damaged in a recent move, and so the other boards have yet to be plugged in and examined.

I plan to not only rebuild that cabinet, but also build a custom cocktail arcade cabinet so that visitors can sit down and play video Mahjong old-school style like it was played in the video arcade heyday of the 80's and 90's.

If you're motivated enough to get into old-school video arcade mahjong gaming, I know that many of the original mahjong games are preserved by the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator project, and they have a tremendous amount of history stored in their data that is worth mining for details. Outside of that, you'll have to be handy not only with a computer, but with a saw too, to build your own arcade cabinet, since actual Mahjong video arcade cabinets are a pretty rare find in the US.

If anyone else out there has restored or has built their own Mahjong arcade cabinet, I'd love to hear about it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:49:10 pm by SDMiller »

Castilleja

• View Profile
Re: Just a quick update on the status of my collection.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:16:01 am »
Impressive collection, SDMiller. Did you add anything else to it in the recent years?
Hi!

anything