Author Topic: My homemade mahjong table is done!  (Read 10869 times)

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My book: Mahjong from A to Zh
My homemade mahjong table is done!
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:12 pm »
Well, it's mostly done, and usable now without hiding it under a table cloth :D

What's not done? Under the blue playing mat is another playing mat... which has a hole in it. Inside that hole will be a bag to play Washizu mahjong. Then it will be done. For now, it doesn't have a bag, so tiles fall all the way through onto the floor :D

What's Washizu mahjong? It's mahjong with 3/4 of the tiles being transparent, and instead of building a wall, the "wall" is a bag under the center of the table so you can't see what tile you're picking from the bag. Tons of fun, comes from the anime "Akagi".

Let me point out the small drawers to hold the riichi betting sticks. They are ceramic drawers I ordered online from India. They pull out and sit on the playing surface, like the one you see on top there, or slide into the table like the drawer you see in the table's side facing you. Each side has its own drawer, and each drawer is different, but all of them are colorful.

Anyway, back to my table... I didn't start taking pictures until it got to this point:

Here it has the table top, and legs already together. Notice the hole in the table top, and the fact that the legs attach to a hollow drum... that will allow the table to convert and play Washizu mahjong :D

Next, I attached the corner pieces, which I had custom cut with a CNC machine to have a dolphin design on them:

I chose a dolphin to match my mahjong set "Shanghai Water" by Dee Gallo from Red Coin Mahjong.

Next I had to cut the polished granite trim. The granite I bought from an "excess" bin at Pride Do It Best Home Center for peanuts... but being excess pieces, and wanting each side to be symmetrical, I had to figure the lowest common denominator in size, and cut pieces to fit together in a symmetrical way. I used a wet tile saw, which I had never used before, and I didn't know tile saws don't cut skin! But don't try that at home... you could get hurt and blame me. Don't try it! But tile saws don't "cut" so much as they "grind" their way through the material... so they are not sharp at all. Who knew?

The pieces are straight cut on the playing side, and bullnosed on the outer edges. After cutting the pieces, I had to seam them back together. Yes, I know I just cut them, and now I'm seaming them back together, but I wanted the seams to be symmetrical all around, and this is how it worked out. I used a knife-grade epoxy with black pigment and cream accelerator, followed by polishing to a spit-shine.

Next I used Liquid Nails to glue the granite trims to the table... notice the table is now also painted black. The table surface will soon be covered with a black poker table cloth, and I didn't want any blond wood to show through (not that it would, but why tempt it). I used black lacquer instead of paint, actually, so the finish will be more shiny, and a lot more durable. Takes a lot longer to lacquer things, but the extra time and coats is worth it, I think.

And that brings us to its present state as pictured above way up top... I tossed the blue mahjong playing mat (which I bought from Yellow Mountain Imports) on top (to make a nice playing surface, and also to cover the hole when not playing Washizu mahjong), and that's where we are.

Once my wife finishing sewing the cloth bag to fit inside the hole, the table will be complete! and convertible from a standard mahjong table to a Washizu table by simply rolling up the blue playing mat to reveal the black one underneath which has the Washizu style hole in it.

Hopefully this post will encourage more players to make and post their own tables too! I'd love to see them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:03:07 pm by SDMiller »

zousmachine

• View Profile
Re: My homemade mahjong table is done!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:27:10 pm »
Nice table, how long did you spend to make/assemble the table?

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:47:53 pm »
Not counting drying times, probably eight hours total... but spread out over several months of an hour or two here and there.

The legs I took from another table. The top is just a square with a hole in it with rails under it for stability and to allow cut-outs for the drawers to go into.

The drawers are ceramic pieces I ordered online so I didn't have to make anything there either.

The most time was seaming the granite back together since it's made of scrap pieces, and then glueing them to the top. The corners are actually sold as corner pieces for a doorframe from http://heartwoodcarving.com/  but I used them for the corners on the table, of course.

All in all its an incredibly simple table to make.

You should try it, it's not as hard as one would think.

nutmeg2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:32:02 pm »
Excellent table!  I am less industrious and would like to convert my nice wooden card table into a mahjong table.  How did you attach the drawers to the table underneath? 

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
>How did you attach the drawers to the table underneath?

Quite simple. The hole I cuts fits the ceramic drawers very exact... so they slide in and out freely, but have no wiggle room. To prevent people from pushing the drawer in too far, I glued a small stop-block to the underside of the table, as you can see in the photo.

My original plan was to build a complete box around the drawer, but after cutting the holes, I realized the drawers were snug and stable without it... so it went from a big project making four drawer tracks to a simple project of just cutting a hole. I imagine if the drawers were larger, I would have needed a track.

The one lessoned learned I'd pass along is to devise a way to keep the drawers from coming all the way OUT! Normally not a big deal, but mine being ceramic with a smooth ceramic pull knob... my small children have broken one already by pulling it all the way out and then losing their grip and dropping it. Fortunately I planned for breakage (I'm an experienced parent ; ) and ordered a couple spares. Just as a safe-guard, I tied a small black string to the drawers so if they are pulled all the way out and dropped again, the string will save the drawer from smashing on the floor. If you look close at the attached picture you can see the string tied to the drawer's hole.

mahjongFan

• View Profile
    • mahjong
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:20 am »
good job  ;D

anything