collapse

Author Topic: Tiles of the Unexpected #7: Dueling Dragons  (Read 2555 times)

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My book: Mahjong from A to Zh
Tiles of the Unexpected #7: Dueling Dragons
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »
Ok, here's the current situation:
South round, 4th hand, dealer's 2nd bonus hand (still potentially the last hand of the game)
E- 33,300 - MitsukiY
S- 18,200 - freedom001
W- 00,600 - bbp888
N- 45,900 - Scott (me)

See the attached image.

A little background on the playing style of my opponents:
MitsukiY has, for the entire game, been winning with quick 1 and 2 thousand point hands.
freedom001 typically wins with giant scoring hands, but this game has been unable to win a single hand due to MitsukiY's quick-hand style. The fact that he is riichi is significant... he's an experienced player who knows if he won this would end the game, and a quick cheap hand won't catch him up to victory.
bbp888 appears to be a novice.

At this point... what would you do?
After people have had time to suggest answers, I'll tell you what "I" did, and how it turned out.

EAM

• View Profile
Re: Tiles of the Unexpected #7: Dueling Dragons
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:14 am »
It's a toughie! You are playing novice and experienced players, who think differently.

The white is a dangerous tile, none show on the table. You almost have to drop the green.

Master Po

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »
I'd lose the white dragon... someone's going to discard the green for the win!

;D

SDMiller

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My book: Mahjong from A to Zh
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:21 am »
Well, here's how that went...

Firstly, the white dragon appears nowhere in the game, so in my assessment it's a very dangerous tile... but also unlikely to pair up for me, considering someone is probably holding some whites or they'd be out by now. Keeping it will likely end my bid for a win, locking me in an unlikely wait.

Seeing two green dragons already discarded, my green dragon is my safest discard, but discarding it throws away my trick tenpai, and simultaneously puts me tenpai for that unwanted white dragon as mentioned above.

Strangely enough the MitsukiY followed my discard of the green by also discarding a green dragon... apparently suspicious that I was holding it as a trick tile for my pair... and he was right. He successfully prevented me from winning by hanging onto what most people would have considered a safe discard.

As it was, since MitsukiY was finally able to shed what he considered a dangerous green dragon, he was then able to get his hand into tenpai and ended up winning the hand, ronning off of me to take first, and bumping me to second. Oof.

Very good game overall... excellent opponents playing very tight mahjong.

:D

* Osamuko's RSS

Invalid feed.